Unfortunately I'm giving up chocolate bars and jellies today for Lent, and Valentine's Day is tomorrow! Waaah!
Don't worry though, I'll be treating myself to sweet homemade vanilla cupcakes that I made.
Wanna know the recipe?
Cupcakes is a very well known recipe, so you might already know the drill.
You will need (for 12 cupcakes):
115 g Self-Raising Flour
115 g Caster Sugar
115 g Soft Butter
2 - 4 drops of vanilla essence
Large mixing bowl (to mix dry ingredients)
Cupcake paper cases
Small bowl (to whisk the eggs in)
Fork, Small Spoons, Knife
|Not all ingredients and tools are shown in this picture. You can add red food colouring for pink cupcakes or icing, but I actually won't be doing that today.|
- Set the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Put the paper cases in the tin.
- Grate the butter into the bowl and add the sugar. Mix together until light and creamy.
- Crack the eggs into the small bowl and whisk them with a fork. Add them to the mixture when whisked fully.
- Sift the flour into the mixture and fold it in gently. Add 2-4 drops of vanilla essence depending on how sweet you would like your cupcakes to be.
- When the mixture is smooth and creamy. spoon the mixture into each paper case.
- Put the cupcakes in the oven for 10 mins if they are small or if they are big 15 - 20 mins.
|The mixture should look like this when you are finished mixing.|
|I used these cute heart shaped cases (that are reusable) that I bought in M&S.|
Aren't they so Valentin'es Day-y?
|Here are my heart cupcakes filled with love!|
I made an extra batch of round cupcakes too :)
I used a special can of cupcake icing from Tesco for this recipe, but if you would like to make your own, follow the steps below:
You will need:
115 g Icing Sugar
Very small amount of water (about 1 tbsp)
Several drops of food colouring (if you wish)
Sprinkles (again, if you want them)
Small mixing bowl
Icing bags (optional)
- Sift the icing into the small mixing bowl. Add the tbsp of water, mixing it into the sugar to make a thick, smooth paste.
- Add 1 - 2 drops of food colouring and mix.
- Fill icing bags with the icing and carefully pipe the cupcakes to make designs. If you son't have icing bags, simply use a spoon.
- Sprinkle the cupcakes with whatever sprinkles you like.
Enjoy your delicous cupcakes! I looove mine!